And God saw that it was very good!
In Spring 2003 the President and Leadership Council formed an Environmental Task Force (ETF) to give advice on “green building” and ecological concerns for the planned renovation of the Motherhouse Complex. The task force requested the purpose be expanded to include implementation of the Earth Charter whose principles and values were endorsed in 2003 by the Grey Nun Congregation.
Prior to forming the ETF, an informal interest group, Ecology and Spirituality, recommended that an Environmental Resource Assessment of our property be conducted.
• Assist the GNSH leadership in implementing the environmental Resource Assessment of the Motherhouse property
• Research, advise and advocate for ecologically friendly and sustainable methods and materials in developing the property as part of Legacy 21.
• Continue to educate Grey Nuns, Grey Nun Associates and others on the principles of the Earth Charter and act upon the values expressed in it and in our Vision Statement, “to strengthen our interdependence with each other, the vulnerable and all of creation.”
Activities and Accomplishments:
• congregational reflection process on the new cosmology and how this affects our understanding of our religious life and the vows.
• pond restoration project-ongoing
• woodland inventory and marking of trees planted as memorials
• advocated for portion of Motherhouse electric from renewable energy – wind power
• planned Earth Day program and celebration for Chapter ‘08
• In collaboration with the Motherhouse complex and local houses:
• recycling efforts
• elimination of unnecessary use of bottled water
In collaboration with the Peace and Nonviolence Committee:
• Study of “From Violence to Wholeness” – implementing the Peace section of the Earth Charter and culminating in planting of Peace Pole on Motherhouse property on Earth Day ’08